msnbc news alert installer: "Unable to start browser"

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Jan 3 23:27:03 CST 2002

Jeremy White wrote:

> > > MSNBC Interactive grants you the right to install and use
> > > copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on your computers running validly
> > > licensed copies of the operating system for which the SOFTWARE
> > > PRODUCT was designed [e.g., Microsoft Windows(r) 95; Microsoft
> > > Windows NT(r), Microsoft Windows 3.x, Macintosh, etc.].
>
> Dan,
>
> Microsoft seems to be updating their free download products
> to use a EULA like this.  You'll find it in Windows Media
> Player, Direct X, and other places.
>
> Fun, fun fun.

Yep.  With Microsoft stuff, they tend to call the free downloads
'operating system components' to make it sound more reasonable.
They can't use that dodge with products from MSNBC, though, so
it looks more ham-handed there.

I just updated my microsoft antitrust settlement analysis to include
this as an example of where the settlement falls short
( http://www.kegel.com/remedy/remedy2.html#user ).

Still hoping somebody can try running it on a more recent Wine,
and comment on why it fails...

Thanks,
Dan