SHGetSpecialFolderLocation function

Chris Green chris_e_green at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 17:42:59 CST 2002

Hi,
I've been looking into this function, trying to work out why ms office 97
can't install under Wine. (I've also been looking at the handling of
command-lines when new processes are spawned, as office's setup program
spawns a process called acmsetup with a string of command-line options, and
it seems that wine manages to insert an extra " at the end of the command
line.)

What I've found though with the SHGetSpecialFolderLocation, is that it seems
to me that it is designed to allow the caller to pick an arbitrary value for
the CSIDL, and that this will cause windows to create a new CSIDL. As the
function's implementation currently stands, it has a hard-coded table of
possible CSIDLs, and rejects calls with unknown CSIDLs.

Has anyone else looked at this function, and does anyone have any comments or
suggestions on ways to address this? I'm thinking that these values probably
need to go into the registry, or something, rather than being stored in the
code...

regards
Chris Green