PATCH: Euro

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Sun Jan 6 11:16:49 CST 2002

> On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
>
> > > This patch changes the NLS currency of all Euro countries to
> > > use the "EUR"
> > > as international currency and the euro-sign (iso-8859-15,
> > > character 164).
> >
> > Hmm. While I'm do not doubt that some users of Wine might
> find this useful,
> > Wine is supposed to do what Windows does and if Windows
> does something
> > wrong Wine usually should as well.
>
> Wrong? Microsoft has released Euro updates for Windows, which
> seems like
> it's supposed to change the Windows NLS files to use the new
> currency. It
> should be available on the Windows Update site. I don't see
> anything wrong
> here.

You are sure it changes the .NLS files (the default),
not just the "copy" in registry?

Does patches exists for all versions of Windows?
Including Windows 3.1 and Windows 95?

Anyway, I'm not worried primarily about this specific patch,
but that any deviation from Windows no matter how "correct"
it is in some meaning will make it harder to for example
write a test suite for Wine.

If no patch exist for say Windows 95 all Windows 95 users will
have to make the change in the registry and the test suite on
such a platform might not work correctly.

Again this is not an argument for not having this patch including
but rather a warning that we need to be careful when we have to
do this type of changes.

Obviously Wine must handle the Euro correctly, regardless what
Windows do, otherwise we might get bad press and/or annoyed users.