cutting teeth

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 15:13:52 CST 2002

Shane,
   welcome to the Wine developers list!

Shane Shields wrote:

> hello everybody,
>
> just want to let everyone know that i (shane shields) have joined the mailing
> list and downloaded the latest cvs.
>
> what i want to know now is what can i do i have some c experience but mostly
> dos (and some windows), vb (but i dont think its relevent) and i know the
> windows os quite well. as i converted to linux 8 months ago and totally
> removed windows i would like to help with wine development with the aim of
> not having to use any proprietry dlls at all (to do with the core os that
> is). i have looked at the 20011226 version and noticed that the ole
> functionality is virtually nonexistant. is anyone working on that? or is
> there a better way to cut my teeth with wine programming. suggestions,
> directions and flames welcome. just remember that i am relatively new to
> linux programming.
>
> looking forward to joining the community
> Shane Shields

Your experience is the most relevant to the project. A lot of things can
be done in pure Win32 API. Start from small things to become familiar
with Wine, development process.

Look in the archive of this mailinng list - there was thread with Subj
"Wine Tasklist" which will have you some clues what is needed.

Another good approach is to run an application, see what breaks and fix it.

Another really easy thing for developer with your experience (and very
needed) is to write unit tests. We are still discussing the best
approach but work already started. See thread "We *really* need a
development model change !" for more details.

I'd also recommend you to setup CVS access to Wine source tree. Knowlege
of CVS will be valuable for you outside of the Wine project. See
documentation on winehq.com how to start with CVS.

Happy hacking!
Andriy Palamarchuk