Lindows screenshots

Bill Medland medbi01_1 at accpac.com
Mon Jan 7 14:51:16 CST 2002

"Bang Jun-Young" <junyoung at mogua.com> wrote in message
news:20020108023339.A5460 at krishna...
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 08:06:11AM -0800, Bill Medland wrote:
> > I wouldn't hold my breath; why would they contribute the valuable stuff
> > back?
>
> What do you think of people that have contributed their invaluable
> time/money/energy/passion/etc to Wine for last years? :P

Sorry you took offence.

I am in awe of what the team have achieved since the early days and
impressed at how rapidly things appear to be moving at present.  I believe
in what Wine is doing, which is part of the reason why I am one of the
people working on it (although I don't do all that much).  I also get an
impression that much of the development is based on altruism rather than
financial concerns (which I guess is your point).

Wine is now getting to quite an advanced state and so begins to look
attractive to a lot of people.

We have just finished a major discussion of the license and are basically
going to leave it as it stands; at least that's my understanding.  (And I
agree with that)

Gavriel has been quite up-front about what TransGaming are doing, in a
business sense.  Basically when the company reaches the equivalent of about
$1million a year they can consider that they are recouping their investment
and can feel comfortable passing back significant code.  This implies to me
a sense of honesty tinged with realistic business sense.

Lindows, to the best of my knowledge, have made no such business committment
to Wine; they agree to abide by all licenses but, as we have just discussed,
the license does not require them to publish their source code.  Considering
their marketing etc. and their target market.I expect them to hang onto the
work they have done for quite a while before feeding it back to the Wine
tree.  Maybe I am wrong (and I hope I am) but what we have to recognise is
that Wine is now getting to the stage at which big business gets interested.

Bill

NB These are my own personal views..