We *really* need a development model change !

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Jan 8 22:11:04 CST 2002

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Gerard Patel wrote:

> This has given me an idea - while I don't expect it to be
> used in Wine, I will try to write my own test progs
> with it : use the *windows* python interpreter under Wine.
> >From the doc, it's possible to call any win32 api from
> it using a 'calldll' interface. If it works well, I won't need
> a 'test framework' - just use the standard, available tool.

And that's a very cool idea. In fact, we don't need a test harness. What
we need is to say:

'A test is an executable. The exit status is 0 on success, and non-zero
on error. If the test fails, it should explain why on stderr. Verbose
output (if any) goes on stdout.'

Now, from the POV of Wine, we don't care (just like the kernel), if the
executable is a native binary or a #! executable. Everything else are a
few Makefile rules, which are conditional on the given
compiler/interpreter being available (which can be checked quite easily by
configure).

--
Dimi.