We *really* need a development model change !

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Jan 9 00:00:38 CST 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Francois Gouget wrote:

>    That's true on Unix because sh, perl, and C executables will just
> work. But if some of your tests are sh scripts you will have trouble
> running them on Windows.

Yes, but nobody really proposes writing tests in Bourne-shell. In fact,
you can't easily do it wether you run under Unix or Windows. What I was
saying is that the execution engine should not really matter, generally
speaking. In practice, there are only 3 choices:
  1. Native executable (most likely C based)
  2. Perl script
  3. Python script
In all this cases we can package things such that the *exact* same tests
run under both Wine & Windows. In all this cases, it is possible to make
it trivial for the tester to run the tests, without them knowing what
language has been used to write the actual tests.

>    We probably won't often need to run all the tests in Windows, but I
> can imagine that it would still be necessary to check behavior on
> different setups: in 16bpp vs. 32bpp, in the english vs. the russian vs.
> chinese version, with IE 5 installed or not installed, etc. So we need a
> framework that makes it easy to run all the tests on Windows. Since sh
> scripts tend to invoke a ton of Unix tools like expr, awk, sed, perl,
> this seems not to be a good basis for writing tests.

Again, you will not be able to easily invoke Win32 APIs from sh anyway, so
this is not really an option.

--
Dimi.