Babystep: Testing framework

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Jan 9 17:20:28 CST 2002

On 9 Jan 2002, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> writes:
>
> >    I think we should definitely be able to check the test output against
> > a reference version.
>
> The idea is that there is no test output (except for debugging);
> everything is checked right inside the test.

   So the test has to do the diff itself. And no calling 'diff' because
it's not portable :-(

> >    Why can't you have one executable per test? Or is there some
> > test/check confusion here? One check per executable, or perl file for
> > that matter would be crazy.
>
> Because a Winelib executable is too heavyweight; you need a spec file,
> multiple object files, a lot of disk space, etc. You cannot
> realistically have hundreds of them without creating a horrible mess.

   A C test should just be a .spec file and a .c file. If they are all
handled the same way it's actually quite simple. In 'Programming Windows
98' I have 148 executables/libraries and 171 C files. It's quite
manageable.

  Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
                               -- Barry LePatner