int $3 and pstores service

Travis Michielsen tjmichielsen at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 18:29:53 CST 2002

Hello,

I have been tracing into pstores.exe the protected storage sevice provider in
windows (win98). This service may be necessary to get the cryptographic API
to function using native dlls (no wine providers currently exist).

I noticed that the service was being started using the following calls:
1) The program calls CryptAcquireContext.
2) CryptAcquireContext calls CPAcquireContext of the apropriate service
provider
3) Any MS provider I tested would call PStoreCreateInstance in pstorec.dll
4) pstore.exe would be started by a call to CreateProcessA

Immediately after the call to CreateProcessA, a call to interrupt 3 seems to
be made but doesn't appear to return.  Anyone know what this interupt does or
sopposed to do?  Is there any support for it in wine?

A few other notes:
-pstores appears to execute fine when started directly under wine.
-when started from above it seems to crash (randomly?) depending on the
provider? usually tries to execute the instruction at 0x00000000.
-some other calls in the API appear to rely on this service I *think* through
psbase.dll (but maybe pstores.exe somehow). I haven't verified this yet
though.

Anyone have some suggestions?

 - Travis