ADPCM and Wine

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Fri Jan 11 07:16:30 CST 2002

Is anybody working on support for playing ADPCM wave files under Wine?
If not, I'd like to take a crack at it.

I have an app that I use (Delorme's AAA MapNGo 4.0) that uses ADPCM wave
files to contain spoken information on attractions. I know that Wine can
access my sound system to play normal PCM wave files, as MN4 also has
speech synthesis that does work. However, any attempt to play a ADPCM
file results in the program pausing for a length of time, then
continuing. I infer that this is because the lower levels of Wine don't
know how to handle ADPCM.

ADPCM isn't rocket science - several programs, including sox, understand
the protocol.

So, is anybody working on this (outside of TG and Lindows)? Any
(non-null) pointers to useful information on how Wine has put together
the sound subsystem? I'm not a Windows programmer, I'm an embedded
systems and DSP person, but if I can find a block of code to hook into I
can make this happen.