Bad File Creation

Guy L. Albertelli galberte at neo.lrun.com
Fri Jan 11 21:29:57 CST 2002

In attempting to play with Outlook Express 5 under Wine, I find that the
files created by OE are bad/damaged. The attachments are as follows:

hoho.gif  - view under Linux shows Folders.dbx as 75,204
hoho-win.gif  - view under Windows shows Folders.dbx as 74K (pretty good).
scandisk.gif  - error message from scandisk under windows.
hoho-win-after.gif  - view under Windows shows Folders.dbx as 60K after
repair.
hoho.txt  - selected pieces of the trace from Wine during the creation
                  of Folders.dbx.

Revisiting it under Linux shows the size is now 61,440.

The Linux is RH 6.1 and the kernel is 2.2.12-20.

This is the only file that this problem occurs on (not true, it also occurs
on Inbox.dbx in the same folder). No other file that I create under Linux is
damaged. I suspect that this may be due to Wine implementation of the call
sequence of:
   GetFileSize(..)
   SetFilePointer(..)
   SetEndOfFile(..)

Any comments or suggestions?

Guy Albertelli  <<galberte at neo.lrun.com>>

Bathed in his currents of liquid helium, self-contained, immobile,
vastly well informed by every mechanical sense: Shalmaneser.
Every now and again there passes through his circuts a pulse
which carries the cybernetic equivalent of the phrase, "Christ, what
an imagination I've got. "  -  Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner