IBM, Notes, Wine and (necessary) version numbers for wine

David Elliott dfe at tgwbd.org
Sat Jan 12 13:45:33 CST 2002

On 2002.01.12 09:20 rob at mediasolution.it wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> > One of the better ways to show the potential to IBM would be to find
> one
> of
> > their apps that *does* work under WINE and get it demoed to their
> > management. Although it sounds like some of them are already
> (internally)
> > using Notes under Linux?
>
> Let me use your message to speak about a "feature" of the wine
> developement model that's starting to "annoy" me: using "date-version"
> instead of a proper version number for the snapshot.
> I know I'm in no position to get annoyed by anything, since Iìve
> contributed no code or useful hints so far :-), but I'd really like to
> see
> this change.
>

> We all know Wine is evolving rather fast, and every 'n' months a major
> subsystem gets rewritten to be able to implement it the "right" way,
> windows speaking, or because the old implementation was only partially
> complete. That's not a problem, since this way wine becomes better and
> bettter.
>
> Where the problem is, however, is that I can't know when these changes,
> that usually bring forth major breakages in some/many applications, are
> done. I've been following wine-devel and wine-cvs and, back in June
> (IIRC)
> when the windows handling code was changed, I wasn't too surprised when
> Lotus Notes stopped working (and it's still broken in many ways, window
> repainting for example).
>
> Too bad SuSE people didn't follow the lists, and going from version 7.2
> version 7.3 of their distro, they "upgraded" their wine rpm package from
> 20010326 to 20010731. With the new version, notes doesn't start at all...
>
> I ask: isn't it about time to use version numbers, like in the linux
> kernel? I now you are working toward "1.0" release, but I guess some
> 0.6.x
> (stable) 0.7.x (unstable), 0.8.x (stable again) coudn't hurt, and this
> kind of versioning give hints to people on where to go and what to
> download if they want something stable or if they want the "newest".

Absolutely not.  Check the archives, I think this has been discussed
before.

Wine is a relatively small developer community.  No one here is interested
in creating a code fork and doing only bug fixes in one branch to try to
make a stable release while doing the major development in another tree.
What we want to do is do major development on one tree, period.  That is
at least until we feel that Wine is even CLOSE to finished at which point
we will work towards a 1.0 release.

> I think it's important to let wine users understand if the package they
> are about to install is a stable, well tested version, or an extremely
> new, developemental and untested version.
>
> In my opinion, some snapshot (like the April 2001 one) are definitely
> beta
> quality, so I think it's useful to let people know this, especially at a
> time like this when the Lindows people are saying "we fixed wine, going
> from alfa to release!"... I'd really like to know from which snapshot
> they
> started...

Personally I would not consider a completely broken hacked together USER*
that happens to work of beta quality.

We would be wasting our time fixing bugs in the old versions.  Let some
company do that (i.e. Lindows).

> Ciao,
>   Roberto

Hmm, is that a blatant reference to the movie "The Waterboy" w/ Adam
Sandler.. or just pure coincidence.

> P.S.
> I hope to be more useful in future, since I'm starting my own business
> that will be based rather heavily on Linux, and this way I hope I'll be
> able to search and destroy the most annoying bugs I find.. :-)

Good luck.

-Dave