struct async-private - now tested and cleaned up

Martin Wilck Martin.Wilck at fujitsu-siemens.com
Mon Jan 21 06:16:22 CST 2002

On 16 Jan 2002, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> Also note that because of dll separation you cannot use functions like
> register_async() from winsock. If absolutely necessary they could be
> exported, but I think it would be much better to use straight server
> calls (and in theory these functions shouldn't be used from comm.c
> either).

Hmm. I guess I don't fully understand dll separation. Are you telling me
that the scheduling mechanism for async requests shouls be implemented
separately in each DLL? If so, I could have spared my efforts to build
a "generic" interface to async requests. I'd just mention that
this would be error-prone, because different parts of wine with
equivalent functionality would need to be maintained. Note
that an app is allowed to mix ReadFile() and WSARecv() calls
for a socket (however braindead that would be). I'd assume that
in Windows there must be a hidden layer for asynchronous requests
somewhere, too, or do you think their respective code is completely
separate?

What would be the "clean" way in theory?

Martin

--
Martin Wilck                Phone: +49 5251 8 15113
Fujitsu Siemens Computers   Fax:   +49 5251 8 20409