Microsoft's version of "WINE"

Sander Wichers wichers at usa.net
Wed Jan 23 09:20:35 CST 2002

Hi,

Maybe you guys already seen this, and it's old news for you... but i'll post
this anyway in case you didn't know. It can be a good thing to learn from.

I do not own a SUN or a HP-UX system. But I was just interested how
microsoft implemented IE 4 / IE 5 on HP-UX and SUN. So I extracted their
installation files to disk. It seems that microsoft made their own version
of wine. It's amazing that they didn't modified IE to run on unix. Instead
they made the choice to emulate all the windows functionality. And compile
IE on that. Microsoft is ready to run their applications on linux. They have
a complete "system" libary full of ported functionality to SUN and HP-UX...
all the libaries are there, libkernel32.so etc.... It's also nice to see how
they seperated the resources from the binaries. and let the kernel deal with
these resource files.

Has any one of you looked into these system libaries? Is this information
relevant to anyone?

bye,

Sander Wichers