Excessive clipping of text in listview

Bill Medland medbi01_1 at accpac.com
Fri Jan 25 13:05:37 CST 2002

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dimi at cs.toronto.edu> wrote in message
news:Pine.GSO.4.21.0201251308080.14925-100000 at dvp.cs...
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Medland, Bill wrote:
>
> > Do you have access to the Microsoft "rowlist" sample?  If so then use
that

> No, I don't. Can you send me a copy, or point me to a place where I can
> get it from?

Search at www.microsoft.com fpor rowlist; it's about the third hit
(msdn.microsoft.com/msdn-files).  Download and compile under VC++ 6

> > but edit a couple of the labels to be longer than one line.  It's the
"being
> > longer than one line" that messes it up.
>
> Aha! That's a good tip -- I'll check it out soon, but right now I'm at
> work, and I don't have any Wine-related things around :)
>
> > Thanks for the rapid response
>
> No problem -- sorry for the screw up :)
>
> > p.s. what is going on in DrawLargeItem with the ellipsification; it
looks
> > like it ellipsifies it and then throws the result away.
>
> No wonder -- that's the most obscure part of the code, and I had the most
> problems with debugging the thing...
>
> > I am currently working on DrawText which should provide everything
needed to
> > draw the text properly.  I am feeding it to Alexandre in small pieces so
> > that we don't break anything.  Microsoft, as far as I can see, don't
> > actually use DrawText; they appear to reimplement all the
ellipsification
> > but I don't see why.
>
> Cool. Given your knowladge of DrawText, should I just drop the
> ellipsification and simply let DrawText do it?

I would say so.  I expect to get the DrawText up to a usable state in a
couple of weeks at most.  (I've proven the concept but I need to step
through the deltas carefully to make sure I don't break it).  The fix will
add the multiline capability with special symantics for DT_EDITCONTROL
which, I believe, will make DrawText operate the same way as the text in
listview.  (including weird things like what does wordbreak do when a single
word is too long!).  Then the fun will start on ListView.  When I played
with it about 6 months ago the painting became a problem, taking into
account when it is two lines deep, when it is "as long as needed" etc.

Bill