Patch that broke SetFileAttributes

Jukka Heinonen jhei at iki.fi
Sat Jan 26 13:57:44 CST 2002

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 06:49:53PM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> The problem is more that file attribute settings just doesnt work that well
> on VFAT.
>
> So you basically break some more installers.
>
> I don't remember what installer it was however. :(

Marcus, can you give some detailed information about
cases where SetFileAttributes must succeed even though
chattr fails?

As far as I understand the original reason for your
patch to SetFileAttributes was because users in some Wine
installation shared large parts of windows and system
directories and these shared parts were readonly, which
makes chattr and thus SetFileAttributes fail.

Now you are talking about some VFAT related problem.
Is this problem in Linux VFAT drivers, Wine VFAT support or
VFAT itself? If you can give enough details I could try
to make a patch that would make SetFileAttributes behaviour
closer to Windows behaviour and which would have proper
comments about incompatibilities (unless you want to do
the patch yourself, of course).

--
Jukka Heinonen <http://www.iki.fi/jhei/>