ReactOS/Mingw32 port

Casper Hornstrup chorns at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jan 27 17:02:21 CST 2002

On Sunday 27 January 2002 22:07, you wrote:
> Hello,
> I am in the process of merging our wine tree back in to the main WINE
> branch and have a few issues that need to be addressed:
>
> 1. Makefiles and Resources
> Alexandre: I know you said you might not accept our makefiles but I went
> ahead and sent them for your review, if you don’t want to apply them no
> problem. Will you accept the .def's for the dlls as we cannot use the
> .specs? No big deal if not because we can keep them on our CVS. Also due
> to a bug in windress we cannot use the wine resources so we have to use
> binary resources for our port. Will you accept those? If not, once again
> no big deal we can keep the makefiles, resources and defs in our CVS
> tree.
>
> 2. Winsock.h problems
> I've been looking at what our guys changed in the wine headers vs the
> current wine headers and the current winsock.h seems to have
> compatiblity problems for non-posix-like platforms. Any suggestions on
> how to fix it for our port?
>
> 3. Everything else
> I'm still new to the whole programming thing so I'm open for suggestions
> from everyone. If anyone has a better way of doing the port rather then
> #ifdef/#endif let me know.
>
> I'm going to start submitting patches to the headers today.
> Thanks
> Steven Edwards

Well, eventually I would like to see the the three projects
(WINE/MinGW/ReactOS) use the same headers. IMO all three projects have
incomplete and messy Windows headers. If the same headers were used, there
would be no need for #ifdefs _PROJECT_NAME_ in them. Of course this would
take a long time to implement. Also I would like to see Win16 and Win32
headers seperated as they do not have much in common and they are not
important to the ReactOS project. Finally it would be nice to seperate WINE
modules that only use the Win32 API from those that uses other APIs (like
WINE internal APIs and Win16 APIs) as ReactOS can only share Win32 only
modules with WINE.

Casper Hornstrup