Patch that broke SetFileAttributes

Jukka Heinonen jhei at iki.fi
Tue Jan 29 12:57:29 CST 2002

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 09:12:00AM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> I am using the following directory setup:
>
> /mnt/hdaX is the 'C' drive of the windows installation, read only mounted
> vfat.
>
> There is a ~/windows and ~/windows/system directory, which contain
> symlinks for every .exe and .dll to /mnt/hdaX/windows/ and .../system/.
>
> Now, if I run "aspiinst.exe" I get:
> Wine ERROR: Couldn't set file attributes for existing file "/home/marcus/windows/system/wnaspi32.dll".
> Check permissions or set VFAT "quiet" mount flag
> Wine ERROR: Couldn't set file attributes for existing file "/home/marcus/windows/system/winaspi.dll".
> Check permissions or set VFAT "quiet" mount flag
>
> It tries to set the permissions through the symlink, which causes this
> problem.

This is not surprising since chmod operation is supposed to fail
if you have mounted filesystem in readonly mode. Perhaps in
this case Wine should indeed fake that operation was succesful,
just as it does now.

> I was a bit confused. However chmod does not work on vfat as far as
> I can see (chmod returns success only if the set mode is the same as
> the original one).

Is this case separate from the above case? I have checked
Linux kernel sources (2.4.13 only) and I have found no reason why
chmod should fail on read-write mounted VFAT filesystem. Perhaps
there is some obscure bug/feature in Linux VFAT driver that
escapes my eyes. Could you provide more information about this case,
please?

--
Jukka Heinonen <http://www.iki.fi/jhei/>