DESTDIR support for make install

Joerg Mayer jmayer at loplof.de
Thu Jan 31 16:26:47 CST 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:09:28PM -0800, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> > wine currently doesn't support the DESTDIR flag commonly used by
> > packagers. The patch I've attached fixes this.
>
> Could you explain this a bit more?  Why can't you use the existing
> $prefix to do the same thing?

When creating a spec file for rpms, you basically prepare the source
(unpack, apply patches), then run configure, make and --->make install
Because the result is intended not to be run but to be packaged, you
don't install into e.g. /usr/local directly, but into something like
/home/myaccount/rpms/tmp/usr/local. Later, when you *install* the
package, you want the binaries to be installed into /usr/local and
all paths compiled into the binaries to point to /usr/local/... too.
So changing prefix is not the way to go. DESTDIR allows to do the
install via "DESTDIR=/home/myaccount/rpms/tmp make install" instead
of doing all the steps from "make install" manually.

  Ciao
          Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                          <jmayer at loplof.de>
I found out that "pro" means "instead of" (as in proconsul). Now I know