DESTDIR support for make install

David Elliott dfe at tgwbd.org
Thu Jan 31 23:07:41 CST 2002

On 2002.01.31 17:52 Joerg Mayer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 02:33:53PM -0800, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> > But "make install prefix=/home/myaccount/rpms/tmp" should do exactly
> > the same thing, unless I missed something. You can run make with one
> > prefix and make install with another one, that's a feature.
>
> I didn't know about this feature, but it works fine :) Thanks!
>
>   Ciao
>        Jörg

You're still missing out on even more features though.

The newer versions of RPM have configure and make install macros.

When you use the configure macro it calls ./configure with a bunch of
predefined parameters like the prefix and the etc directory and the
manpages and info directories and so on.

You then run make (usually wouldn't need any parameters.. although in
wine's case don't forget to make depend before a make).

Then when that is all said and done you use the makeinstall macro which
runs make install with those parameters from the configure macro set with
the RPM BuildRoot before them all.

I believe Wine's makefiles should already be well behaved enough to handle
that.

Only issue I can remember is that a few weeks ago I grabbed wine out of
CVS and compiled it on my work box and I could have sworn that when I did
a make install that it compiled wineconsole again during that.  I think
that only happened during the first build of the tree (which is always
going to be the case for an RPM).  So you might want to look into that.
Fortunately, this was not for an RPM, simply build as myself and install
as myself into the /opt/wine-cvs directory which I own.

-Dave