The filedlg95 behaviour

Ann and Jason Edmeades us at the-edmeades.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 6 04:51:45 CDT 2002

This leads to an interesting question. The MSDN states (edited for w2k
behaviour but others are teh same):

Initial Dir:

Pointer to a null terminated string that can specify the initial directory.
The algorithm for selecting the initial directory varies on different
platforms.
Windows 2000:
-------------
If lpstrFile contains a path, that path is the initial directory.
Otherwise, lpstrInitialDir specifies the initial directory.
If lpstrInitialDir is NULL and the current directory contains any files of
the specified filter types, the initial directory is the current directory.
Otherwise, if the application has used an Open or Save As dialog box in the
past, the path most recently used is selected as the initial directory.
However, if an application is not run for a long time, its saved selected
path will be discarded.
*****> Otherwise, the initial directory is the personal files directory of
the current user.
Otherwise, the initial directory is the Desktop folder.

Questions...

Windows has the 'personal files' directory set to My Documents - That is why
when doing this patch I implemented it that way. If you are saying you would
prefer the home directory to be this, then why dont we make the Personal
Files registry key always point to the users home directory?

We either have complete compatibility eg. files go in ~ which is the Unix
methodology, but windows apps looking in \My Documents directly would work,
or we can try to slightly unix-ify the windows way and use ~ as the My
Documents directory.

I'm not convinced a patch should be submitted unless this is addressed. I
have no problems assuming my change is not 100% correct, but we dont want a
bounce of patches where someone tries to swap it back later to fix a
specific unix app.

BTW It is not a registry key directly which changes the behaviour, moreover
which version of windows is trying to be emulated by Wine at that time.

Regards,
Jason