PATCH: temp fixes, again

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sat Jul 27 12:08:03 CDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 09:13:09AM -0700, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Marcus Meissner <meissner at suse.de> writes:
>
> > This has been some time ago, and those old libc versions should not be used
> > anymore for security reasons.
>
> Well the man page says "Don't use this function", and if it's broken
> in old glibc it can be broken on other systems too. I think it's safer
> to do the open ourselves, especially since this is pretty trivial to
> do.
I think X11 is pretty arcane and not very flexible. Thus we should probably
write our own display interface.
And last time I checked, Linux froze my whole system due to sound bugs,
and as they don't fix it, Linux is totally unreliable, so let's write
our own sound hardware driver for Wine (and thus of course replace the whole
OS).

That ok for you ?

I guess not.
Modularity is there for a reason, so if we can make use of it, we should.

Now if the phrase "Don't use this function" does have some real reason for
its existence, then we should rewrite the functionality, of course.
(note that some people believe that man pages are always outdated)
Otherwise just use that function, I'd say...

(OTOH it's pretty small, so maybe really give up and just write our own)

--
"My attitude is, everybody should try competing with Microsoft once in their life. Once."
- Marc Andreessen, former Netscape lead employee, in a "browser wars" interview