null midi device

degs lists at giantblob.com
Thu Jun 6 09:15:59 CDT 2002

Hi,

I can't see much benefit to a timidity output in Wine - it seems like an
awful lot of effort for little return. Very few general purpose Windows
applications actually do MIDI output. The exceptions would be: (very) old
games; MIDI file players (plenty of UNIX replacements for these) and music
production software. No one seriously using music production software is
going to want a MIDI output connected to timidity - the audio quality is not
good enough, and if they did want to use it I'd imagine the latancy/timeing
would not be tight enough.

-- degs