winebootup

Dustin Navea speeddymon at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 14:56:29 CDT 2002

--- Andreas Mohr <andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 10:52:07PM -0500, Jeremy
> White wrote:
> > Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> >
> > >I've seen in the crossover office that there is a
> reboot.so file, but I think
> > >thats codeweaver's closed source part since it's
> not part of wine itself (if
> > >I'm not mistaken)
> > >

> > Well, when we were hip deep in preparation for
> CrossOver Office,
> > Andreas had just started doing a full set of boot
> processing logic.
> > I had a conversation with Andreas about it;
> convinced that his was
> > the 'right' approach, but that it wouldn't be
> ready soon enough for us,
> > we hacked together something quick and dirty.
> >
> > The idea was that Andreas was to have been done by
> now, hint, hint <grin>.
> >
> > Andi?
> /me better won't reveal his feelings now :-\
>
> I'm attaching the current implementation of
> programs/wineboot.
> I removed all GUI code and made sure that it still
> works, but it's not
> fully ready yet, I think (configuration settings,
> for example).
> I always planned to finish it, but with 50 mails in
> my "reply" queue
> and Linuxtag looming, the prospects for this are a
> bit grim at the moment...
> Also, I feel that I'm still a bit unsure as to how
> exactly it should
> be implemented:
> - how exactly are we going to check for new "bootup"
> entries to be processed ?

Same way windows does, when the program is run, check
autoexec.bat, winstart.bat, win.ini, system.ini and
the registry...

> - when exactly would it be run

when the user feels like it, or optionally at linux
boot, or optionally when wine is started, but that
would be a pain if the stuff to be started had nothing
to do with the program being run...

> - etc. etc.
>
> In case someone wants to work on it, feel free.
> Otherwise I'll continue to work on it when I've got
> a lot more free time,
> i.e. in August/September.

I will take a look at it when i get a chance...

-Dustin