Error messages when typing Hebrew characters

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Thu Jun 6 21:07:26 CDT 2002

"Shachar Shemesh" <wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il> wrote:

> I tried repeating Hetz's experiment, and run the command "LANG=he_IL
> wine notepad", and then type a few (random) Hebrew chars. I get the
> following messages on screen:
>
> Warning: Language 'he_IL' was not found, retrying without country name...

Probably LOCVAL(LOCALE_SISO3166CTRYNAME,"HE") in dlls/kernel/nls/heb.nls is
wrong and "HE" should be replaced by "IL" (at least Windows 2000 reports "IL").
Windows2000 also reports LOCALE_SISO639LANGNAME = "iw". It would be a good
idea to revise all fields in that file.

> fixme:edit:EDIT_EM_FmtLines soft break enabled, not implemented
> fixme:win:GetProcessDefaultLayout ( 0x40556df4 ): No BiDi
> err:keyboard:X11DRV_ToUnicode Please report: no char for keysym 0CEA
> (hebrew_finalkaph) :
> err:keyboard:X11DRV_ToUnicode (virtKey=4C,scanCode=26,keycode=2E,state=2010)
> err:keyboard:X11DRV_ToUnicode Please report: no char for keysym 0CF9
> (hebrew_shin) :
> err:keyboard:X11DRV_ToUnicode (virtKey=41,scanCode=1E,keycode=26,state=2010)
> err:keyboard:X11DRV_ToUnicode Please report: no char for keysym 0CEC
> (hebrew_lamed) :
> err:keyboard:X11DRV_ToUnicode (virtKey=4B,scanCode=25,keycode=2D,state=2010)
> err:keyboard:X11DRV_ToUnicode Please report: no char for keysym 0CE3
> (hebrew_dalet) :
> err:keyboard:X11DRV_ToUnicode (virtKey=53,scanCode=1F,keycode=27,state=2010)
>
> I tried following X11DRV_ToUnicode around a bit, but hit a brick wall at
> the X11 function "TSXKeysymToString". Anyone has any idea why the Hebrew
> characters are not being translated correctly (the character names are
> correct).

First of all: are hebrew keyboard input works in a native X11 text editor?
What reports xev? (And it would be a good idea to add setlocale(LC_CTYPE,"");
at the very first lines of xev.c, recompile it, and check whether it still
works).

--
Dmitry.