Problems running IE with latest release

Won Kyu Park wkpark at chem.skku.ac.kr
Fri Jun 14 11:37:50 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 01:51:56AM +0100, Con Hennessy wrote:
> Hi Won,
> Thank you very much for your detailed help. Here are some problems/comments
> I have on some of the stages :
>
> On Wednesday 12 June 2002 17:30, Won Kyu Park wrote:
> [snip]
> > I could IE 5.01 installation successfully with a fake_windows.
> >
> > step:
> > 1. make a fake_windows in the $HOME/.wine
> >    http://chem.skku.ac.kr/~wkpark/kle/wine/dotwine/make_dotwine
> OK.
>
> > 2. install some ttf fonts($ wine NEWFNT32.exe;wine corfnt32.exe)
> >   wget ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/drg/TrueType/NEWFNT32.EXE
> I had many problems  tryingto down load this file from the ftp servers
> but was eventually successful.
>
> >   wget ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/drg/TrueType/corfnt32.exe
>
> > 3. install dcom98.exe($ wine dcom98.exe)
> >   wget http://download.microsoft.com/msdownload/dcom/98/x86/en/dcom98.exe
> > 4. install ie5setup.exe ($wine ie5setup.exe)
> >   wget
> > http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie501sp2/Install/5.01_SP2/WIN98/EN-U
> >S/ie5setup.exe
> To access this you must go to http://download.microsoft.com/download
> and follow the various steps to get "IE5 service pack 2".
> Also while running this exe I got the following problem after successfully
> downloading all of the relevant ( 19MB !) files :

I just select *minimum installation*. and uncheck allmost all of them, except
the main program.

I test several times with my RedHat7.2 boxes.

> err:win:WIN_FindWndPtr window 10021 belongs to other process
> err:win:WIN_FindWndPtr window 10021 belongs to other process
> The installation window briefly appeared ( did not contain anything ) and
> then disappeared! The 2 error messages seem to appear at the same time.
> The installation dialog boxes then indicates that nothing has been
> installed ( or more acurately it shows a long list of items which
> have not been installed ).

now, you download allmost of them, you can re-run with
minimal installation option.

> What can I do now ?
>
> Thanks
> CP Hennessy
>
> > 5. delete .wine/fake_windows/Windows/WinInit.ini(?)
> >    see Wininit.ini and you can find some instructions...
>
> > 6. run explorer.exe with following config;
> >   (explorer.exe!! not iexplore.exe, you may copy it from some windows boxs)
> >   i think.. when explorer.exe executed.. some registry entries are created
> > which iexplore.exe need.
> >
> > [AppDefaults\\explorer.exe\\x11drv]
> > "Managed"="N"
> > "Desktop"="800x600"
> >
> > [AppDefaults\\explorer.exe\\DllOverrides]
> > ;;
> > "gdi32" = "builtin"
> > "kernel32" = "builtin"
> > ;;"shell" = "native"
> > ;;"shell32" = "native"
> > ;;"commctl" = "native"
> > ;;"comctl32" = "native"
> > "shell" = "builtin"
> > "shell32" = "builtin"
> > "commctl" = "builtin"
> > "comctl32" = "builtin"
> > ;
> > "imm" = "builtin"
> > ;"ntdll" = "native"
> > "shdocvw" = "native"
> > "shlwapi" = "native"
> > "wininet" = "native"
> > "*" = "native, builtin"

in this process you may get many warns, but simply ignore all of them :-)
with builtin *shell,shell32,commctl,comctl32* the explore could not start
properly. (after just one time execution of the explorer.exe, you could run
IExplore.exe)