Dynamically linking with a Unix library - or not

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Jun 18 12:24:33 CDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
[...]
> Adding a ./configure option to do so would probably be quite feasable (I
> don't know how to do it at the moment, but I am sure that will not be
> the disqualifying factor), but I have been quite hesitant to go that way
> until now, for the following reasons:
> A. Fribidi will have to be present during building WINE. That, in
> itself, is not a majour obstacle, but
> B. Having Fribidi present during compile will add Fribidi to the WINE
> dependancies.

A way to deal with B is to do like for FreeType, i.e. load the library
dynamically at runtime, and disable support for it if that fails.

But I have another question which you have probably already envisioned
(might even have already discussed on the list though I can't remember
right now): FriBiDi being a Unix Unicode library, I assume it uses
4-byte Unicode characters? Won't it be a problem since Wine uses 2-byte
Unicode characters?

That may be another argument for integrating FriBiDi with Wine, or
maybe:
 * adding a compile option so that FriBiDi works with either 2 or 4 byte
   characters
 * make it possible to write a configure check to detect whether the
   FriBiDi library is compiled for 2 or 4 byte characters
 * then packagers would compile Wine with this special FriBiDi library,
   and ship it with Wine

How does that sound?

May your Tongue stick to the Roof of your Mouth with the Force of a Thousand Caramels.