The memory model

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Tue Mar 12 11:09:12 CST 2002

Over on comp.arch.fpga, there has been a discussion (in the thread
"exceeding 2GB limits in xilinx") about the memory models of Windoze
versus Linux, and whether running a Windows program under wine would
impose the Windows memory model on an application.

This all comes about because the newest Xilinx software says that to use
their newest large devices, a computer needs a minimum of 3GB to run
place and route! Apparently Windows allocates 2GB to user space and
Linux allocates 3GB (just repeating what has been said by others there).
It was mentioned that perhaps running the tools under Linux/wine might
allow the tools to have access to the full 3GB available under Linux.

In any case, this made me curious, and I was hoping some of the more
knowledgable people here might be able to explain how this works under wine.

Thanks,
Duane