PE loader integrated into BSD

Steve Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Sun Mar 17 13:04:50 CST 2002

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 10:55:41PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> At Wineconf tonight, people were talking about
> whether integrating bits of wine into the kernel
> was useful, and how much should be moved in.
> (Hello task ornaments!)  Anyway, I mentioned that
> somebody had integrated a PE loader into BSD.  Here's the page:
> http://chiharu.hauN.ORG/peace/
> I think this is pretty darn cool, and hope somebody
> does something similar for Linux.

On Linux, support for 'foreign' binary types has been generalized using
the binfmt_misc interface which is controllable at runtime through /proc.
Debian goes so far as to provide a package called 'binfmt-support' which
automates setup of additional userland executable loaders.  It actually
works quite well with Wine, in fact.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer