[Fwd: Re: Bugzilla, was Re: wineconf summary]

Michael Cardenas michael.cardenas at lindows.com
Tue Mar 19 12:14:28 CST 2002

Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

>On March 19, 2002 08:49 am, Andriy Palamarchuk wrote:
>
>>>dimitry suggested posting the top 10 or
>>>20 bugs to wine-devel every other week, and I
>>>suggested putting the in WWN.
>>>
>>I'm not sure about usefullness of this one. What we
>>need are people, responsible for Wine subsystems.
>>

>No, this is from another perspective. And that is, getting more people into
>Wine devel, like the Abiword folks do. Problem is that right now the barrier
>to entry is enormous: the project is huge, and there is no clear list of
>_small_ tasks (which require little knowledge of the project). Going through
>Bugzilla is not an option -- few people do that. If we extract a list of
>10-20 bugs, and post them on WWN, a _lot_ more people will see them, click on
>it, etc. It's just a way of getting people into the game, that's all.

I think it's also important to keep the developers focused. If we just
work on whatever comes up, or whatever users ask for at any given
moment, we won't focus on getting to 0.9 and it won't happen.

I think that ideally we should move to a release schedule like KDE does
where they work towards releases at specified dates. There needs to be a
time where we all try to do clean up and focus on doing grunt work to
solidify releases.