Joel on WINE

Roland roland at netquant.com.br
Tue Mar 19 13:11:50 CST 2002

Joel says something about WINE on:
http://www.softwaremarketsolution.com/
Citation:
Joel:
But due to chicken-and-egg problems,
         running Windows apps is probably nonnegotiable for most people, so
WINE
         is going to have to get a lot better before Linux is a threat to
the desktop.
         I sort of expected with all the effort Corel put into it, it
should be
         there by now, but they seem to be as far as ever from seamlessly
running
         Win apps. (By the way, a lot of people think that the Windows API
is too
         much of a moving target for WINE to catch up. As a Windows developer,
         let me say, this is rubbish. Almost every Windows app out there
         is tested on Win 95 to make sure it runs decently on the entire 32
bit
         Windows product line. If WINE could ever catch up to Win 95, they
would
         be almost completely done. The target hasn't moved anywhere since
August,
         1995.)
Linux is a great server OS, and with
         some UI work, it would be even better. (Yes, people still pay
extra for
         NT on their servers because the GUI admin tools are much easier than