Why Wine is like playing the guitar

James Hatheway james at macadamian.com
Wed Mar 20 13:32:05 CST 2002

> I've been working on trying to get the embedded browser in AOL to work,
> even WITH the native mshtml.dll, but it won't. My concern is that if the
> infrastructure isn't even there to create the com object, it might be a
> lot of work to get mozilla to launch.

One thing that could be snagging you, is that make sure you are also
using native oleaut32.dll.  The implementation of type library loading,
and IDispatch interface implementation (especially IDispatch::Invoke)
inside WINE is incomplete, and definitely not stable enough to
run a non-trivial app like AOL.  We (Macadamian, mainly Francois)
did a lot of work in this regards, but some of it didn't get into the tree
because it was too hackish.  The patch should be in the archives somewhere.

-James

--
James Hatheway
james at macadamian.com ~ http://www.macadamian.com