Why Wine is like playing the guitar

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Mar 20 14:39:04 CST 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Andriy Palamarchuk wrote:

> --- Roland <roland at netquant.com.br> wrote:
> > We need a centralized site where users can vote what
> > programs they want
> > supported on WINE. I think Transgaming has already
> > done this for their
> > subscriber base. I think that codeweavers has
> > something similar. I would be
> > good if we could put that databases together. Maybe
> > we should also
> > categorize a little, like TOP-10 games, apps, etc...
>
> I suggest to use Codeweavers Wine application database
> (http://wine.codeweavers.com/appdb/). I think it had
> votes information before, but I can't find this
> information now.

   Yes, the application database lets people vote for the applications
they want working on Wine most.

 * You can see the applications sorted by votes:
   http://appdb.codeweavers.com/votestats.php

 * And the instructions about how to vote are here.
   You have a total of 3 votes.
   http://appdb.codeweavers.com/help/?topic=voting

   What seems to be missing is a count of the votes for a specific
application on the application's page itself.

   You can also vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most.

 * To vote for a bug you want to see fixed, go to that bug and then
click on 'Vote for this bug'. This sends you to another page. Set the
number of votes you want to spend on that bug (you are allowed a total
of 5 votes), and then click on 'Submit'.

 * You can view how many people have voted for a given bug directly on
that bug's page.

 * Use the following query to get a sorted list of the bugs by number of
votes:
http://wine.codeweavers.com/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&votes=1&order=bugs.votes%20desc%2C%20bugs.creation_ts%20desc%2C%20bugs.bug_id

   Of course few bugs and applications have votes. For instance only 6
applications have more than 3 votes (if >3 votes then there is more than
one person interested in the application). So I would encourage everyone
to go and vote for their favorite application. I believe this is the
best way to build a Top 10 list.

Btw, the current top 10 is:

 1. Half-Life                   40
 2. EverQuest                    7
 3. Microsoft Word               6
 4. Diablo II                    5
 5. Dreamweaver                  4
 6. Quicken                      4
 7. MechWarrior 4: Vengeance     3
 8. Director                     3
 9. Max Payne                    3
10. Internet Explorer            3

                Linux: It is now safe to turn on your computer.