stable vs. unstable trees

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il
Sat Mar 23 04:38:01 CST 2002

The way I see it, you decide on a FEATURE freeze. Then you cut the
stable branch. Next, you start stabilizing that branch for release, not
allowing commits into that branch of new features. Once it is released,
you merge the changes there into the development tree, and perform a new
feature freeze for a new version. The fact that 0.9, 1.0 or 3.1415 are
still a long way away is insignificant, as far as I can see it.

So, we decide that (for example) BiDi support will not be for 0.9, so
all BiDi related changes are commited to the dev branch, and so on.

The problem with this model of working, as far as I understand it, is
that WINE has little changes that are new features per sa, and most
changes are simply a result of changes to existing infrastructure (after
all, in a way, we are only following someone else's lead, not making up
our own APIs).

It may still be possible to adopt this model, however. Seperate bugfixes
from enhancments, and direct them at different branches. It may be a
good idea (following the guitar thread) to define a set of apps that
should be supported as "features", and make the above suggested
distinction between what should go where based on that.

It is my experience, however, that unless someone steps up and say "We
need to stop merging new stuff", the version never reaches release
quality. Linux 2.4 and Debian Woody/Sid are two points to consider in
this regard.

                Shachar