sandbox for regression tests

Geoffrey Hausheer it9zui001 at sneakemail.com
Sat Mar 23 02:21:20 CST 2002

Hello everyone,
I was considering writing a few regression tests for wine,
and after reading Francois' presentation, I thought
perhaps a File I/O would be a good one to implement
(especially since he mentions CreeateFile).  So I began
thinking about how to go about it, which led me to the
following...

Has any thought been given to creating a sandbox for
regression tests? For instance, let's look at creating a
test for File I/O.  This requires creating/deleting
files/directries, the ability to locate files, etc.

But I don't see anything in the framework that lets me do
this portably on all systems.  In wine, I can't gaurantee
that the test directory (which I could probably write to)
is mapped to a Windows drive.  On all platformes, I don't
see how I can write to an arbitrary location on C:, since
it may  be unwriteable, and even if it's not, people
probably don't want extraneous wine stuff littered around
their drive when something goes wrong.

I'm now thinking I'll try something more straight-forward
as my first attempt, but this type of test seems like it'd
be very useful, and I don't see how to do it with today's
infrastructure.

Ideas?
Thanks,
.Geoff