Adding new libraries to the repository

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Sun Mar 24 16:22:59 CST 2002

Shachar Shemesh <wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il> writes:

> A. What are my chances of getting a patch of this magnitude
> incorporated into the tree. The library is not particularily big, but
> includes a set of unicode translation files that are automatically
> generated from the unicode standard. It seems that WINE holds similar
> files itself, for similar purposes. I have not yet checked whether
> they conflict, and if they do, whether this conflict is resolvable.

You don't want to include the full library in the tree of course;
there is already a bunch of unicode stuff in libwine_unicode so what
you probably want to do is take algorithms from fribidi and merge them
into libwine_unicode. The unicode tables in there could easily be
extended to add the required information; I can help you with that if
necessary. I doubt you could use fribidi directly anyway since AFAICS
it uses 32-bit Unicode chars, while Wine needs 16-bit chars.

> B. The library is under the LGPL license. I understand that some of
> the WINE tree is under the same license, while other parts are under
> the X11 license. Can someone please comment on the implications of
> such a move? What things do I need to take into consideration?

The whole tree is now under LGPL, so it's not a problem to merge code
from fribidi wherever you need.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com