Adding new libraries to the repository

Hetz Ben Hamo hetz at kde.org
Sun Mar 24 10:03:20 CST 2002

On Sunday 24 March 2002 16:51, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Like I mentioned ealier last week, I intend to add BiDi support to WINE.
> There is a library called fribidi (http://fribidi.sourceforge.net/) that
> does a pretty good job, and seems exactly apropriate for this task. I
> have two questions:

Shachar,

the problems are two fold actually:

1. As it stands now - you can't even see hebrew because, simply put, the fonts
rendering doesn't support it - run Word Viewer with a hebrew document and see
what I mean.

2. The hebrew keyboard is not supported at all, plain and simple. Fact is - if
you use the following command to enable hebrew/english switching:

setxkbmap -option grp:switch,grp:shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll il

 Then not only you won't get hebrew support (or anything which resembles
hebrew), but as soon as you'll press the SHIFT key (like doing @) all the
letters will become caps lock enabled (meaning - only big letters, like the
shift key is stuck), and you'll have to switch several times, type random
text, switch again and you'll get your keyboard bad...

Adding Bidi support (or even full unicode) is a huge piece of work to do. If
you want to add it - then I salute you and hope you'll make it..

Hetz