OT: Buggy fonts

Huw D M Davies h.davies1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 25 06:00:06 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 10:27:47AM +0000, Russell Howe wrote:
> I'm afraid this is a little off-topic, but every time Wine starts, as it
> builds the font metrics, xfs-xtt (the font server) dies. I'm assuming
> there's a font (or few) in the system which it doesn't like, or which
> are corrupt.
>
> It makes wine rather annoying to use (and means that if I kill wine and
> restart the font server, it thinks the metrics are already done and
> ignores most of my fonts!)
>
> Does anyone know an easy way to find out which fonts they are?

Try deleting ~/.wine/cachedmetrics* , re-run wine with --debugmsg
+font, the last font that gets listed before the crash should be the
problem one.

A much better way to do font rendering in Wine is to use the new
client side rendering code.  For this you need an XServer capable of
supporting the RENDER extension (xdpyinfo will tell you whether you
have such a beast) and a copy of the FreeType library version at least
2.0.5 (but the later the better).  Add a [FontDirs] section to your
~/.wine/config file, with entries pointing at any directories that
contain TT fonts

eg
[FontDirs]
"dir1"="/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TT"