Improving the regression testing infrastructure

Geoffrey Hausheer it9zui001 at sneakemail.com
Fri Mar 29 05:21:23 CST 2002

	I know regression testing isn't as interesting as
doing real development, and so I appologize with once
again spamming the list with regression questions...

	As I've been writing tests (only for the last
week or so), I realized that as we get a lot more tests,
it will be very difficult to keep track of what is being
tested, and what is not.  I'd like to propose a list of
which functions for each DLL are being tested, which file
tests it, as well as any comments on the current tests.
	Currently, there is no great way to do this.  I
may use several functions in a directed test  which I am
not actually testing (for instance I've found it
necessary to retrieve the page-size using GetSystemInfo,
but my tests have nothing to do with this function, and
so writing a directed test for it is a task for another
day).  Thus just grepping for which functions are used in
a test is not sufficient.
	Also, I have found that some functions, or even
specific task functions are very difficult to test, and
so I've been leaving these out so that perhaps people ore
skilled than myself could take a crack at them late (A
good example is testing inheritance with CreateThread.
It is a task that is beyond my capabilities at the
moment, at least until I can find a good way to test
CreateProcess...this would be much easier if Windows had
something equivalent to 'fork').  In any case, I've tried
to be thorough about commenting what I do and don't test,
but it would be a lot more convenient if this information
was more easily parsed than trying to find my comments
intersperesed through the tests.
	So does anyone thing that creating a easily
parsable list with the state of the current tests is this
a reasonable thing to do, and would creating a simple
file in each /tests directory with the information be
good enough?  If so,  I can add one to my next test, and
update it with what I've done so far.

	In general, while Francois' presentation is a
good place to get started, I think it'd be a lot easier
if there was a document off of winehq with
recommendations on how to build, test, and document
tests.  Lowering the difficulty threshold, is more likely
to draw more people to do so.

Thanks,
.Geoff