Improving the regression testing infrastructure

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Mar 29 14:39:33 CST 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Eric Pouech wrote:
[...]
> the global test goes as :
> 1/ the parent creates the child
> 2/ the parent waits for the child to terminate
> 3/ the child process stores most information it can gather in a
> temporary file
> 4/ the child terminates
> 5/ the parent does the final checking

   For the parameter testing I was thinking of storing the expected argv
parameters in environment variables. Then, we need a way to tell the
child to do specific tests (maybe one more environment variable) and it
would then compare the contents of the environment variables with what
it got.

   But since we do not control the main/WinMain, we would have to rely
on getmainargs or __argv, __argp tricks (which means parts of the test
may only be possible in msvcrt).

   The approach above would probably not work testing environment
variable passing. So alternately, since the two share the same code, you
could instruct the child to expect to receive the data corresponding to
global array 5.

   Could one of the approaches above replace the temporary file
approach?

        War doesn't determine who's right.  War determines who's left.