Unicode, i18n support

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Sun Mar 31 17:08:44 CST 2002

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> wrote:

> On March 31, 2002 05:30 am, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> > One more thing that should be addressed IMO as the part of the unicode
> > support in Wine: file APIs. For instance in the current state all russian
> > file names created by windows programs are completely unreadable in Linux
> > because they are created in code page 1251 but native russian encoding
> > in Linux is KOI8-R (code page 20866). Therefore all file APIs should
> > work with unicode natively, and convert file names to code page specified
> > somewhere in the config file (like [x11drv]/TextCP) on create, and vice
> > versa on reading file names from disk.
>

> But even that is changing in Linux, where filenames should use UTF8. Wouldn't
> that suffice?

Do you mean that all syscalls that accept filename as parameter, can
handle UTF8 encoded file names? Starting from what version of kernel?

I'm afraid that will help to Linux only based installations of Wine, and
in any case all functions in Wine implementing file APIs should internally
use unicode.

--
Dmitry.