Java and Wine Interoperability on Solaris

Warren_Baird at cimmetry.com Warren_Baird at cimmetry.com
Wed May 1 16:25:22 CDT 2002

Hi all,

I've got an interesting problem on my hands - I need to invoke some
winelib compiled win32 code from java (though jni) on a sparc-solaris
box.

Unfortunately I'm running into problems with the libthread.so library.
If I create the JVM (which involves loading libthread.so) before wine,
I get a segfault in the wine process_init function (during a call to
getcwd that works its way down into libthread).  If I instead
initialize wine first, and then dlopen libthread.so and try to create
the JVM, I get a segfault in the JVM code, in a function who's name
includes the word thread (if that actually means anything).

I've seen a few indications on the mailing list and in the docs that
wine is not compatible with pthreads, but I haven't found a concrete
discussion that gets into a lot of details - if anyone knows of a
document somewhere that talks about this, I'd love to see it.

I notice that there is a pthread.c file in scheduler, that seems to
implement part of the pthreads api in terms of wine threads for glibc.
Does anyone know if it would be possible to get something similar
working on solaris?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I might be able to make
this work?

Thanks!

Warren