native user32 dll

Michael Cardenas michael.cardenas at lindows.com
Mon May 6 12:05:19 CDT 2002

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 09:49:22PM +0200, Ulrich Weigand wrote:

> In particular, 16-bit segments are not shared between processes
> (like they aren't in Win NT), which means that user.exe won't work.
>
> Implementing the weird Win9x address space handling exactly under
> Linux would be difficult, and in any case we *want* to be more
> like Win NT for stability reasons ...

Ulrich, thanks for that detailed response!

Don't we want to be more like win9x for the moment since most of the NT
dlls are unimplemented right now?

For example, aol7 with winver=win95 runs very well, except that the web
proxy communciation doesn't work, but with winver=win2000 it won't even
launch because it uses some registy handling functions that are
unimplemented stubs. Even with those functions stubbed out, it still
doesn't launch.

--
michael cardenas
lead windows compatibility engineer

"Be the change you want to see in the world"
-Mahatma Gandhi