The Component Categories Manager

John K. Hohm jhohm at acm.org
Mon May 6 16:26:32 CDT 2002

I have been playing with getting a large application made with VB6 and using
many third-party ActiveX controls to work with Wine.  I am currently having a
problem with the absence of COMCAT.DLL and The Component Categories Manager
which is ostensibly implemented in it.  In fact, Windows implements it in
OLE32.DLL; COMCAT.DLL has do-nothing stubs for the registration functions and
forwards DllGetClassObject to OLE32.DLL.

The MSDN documentation for The Component Categories Manager seems very
straightforward; it documents ICatRegister and ICatInformation, which I
believe I could implement.  Since I've not contributed to Wine before, and
just recently joined the digested list, I want to check the following things:

* Is anyone else working on this at the moment?

* Is there a major technical reason this can't be done yet?

* Is there some other reason for me not to work on this soon?

* How should the source for this new functionality be organized?

* Is there a standard (or exemplary) way to implement IEnumXXXX?  I'll be
needing IEnumCATID, IEnumCLSID, and IEnumCATEGORYINFO.

* What should I do when I think I have working code?