FindFirstFile

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il
Thu May 9 00:50:40 CDT 2002

Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

>On May 8, 2002 03:42 pm, davep wrote:
>

>>Remember that Wine is a Unix application and must communicate with the
>>operating system using Unix system calls - even if the underlying
>>filesystem is FAT. Unix does not have the "Archive", "System", "Readonly"
>>or "Hidden" flags so Wine cannot have them either.
>>
>>Actually, Wine sets the Readonly flag if the file permissions would prevent
>>the current user from writing to the file, and the Archive bit is always
>>set, but all other flags are clear.
>>

>I would argue that we should set "Hidden" if and only if the filename
>starts with '.'
>
>What where the "Archive" and "System" bits used for?

Archive was automatically set whenever the file would change. This way,
backup programs could reset this flag when they backed up the system,
and then perform an incremental backup of only the modified files (those
with the A bit set). We may be able to simulate this behaviour by doing
nasty tricks with the file change time vs. file modification time (clear
the flag if the creation time is later than the modification time, and a
request to clear the flag sets the creation time accordingly). Not sure
I like this solution myself, however.

System was used to denote a file that belongs to the system. It is not
100% clear to me what the relation between system and read-only is, but
a read-write system file is a rare sight indeed.

As for renaming hidden files to ".filename", that would break
compatibility if Windows use the same directory.

                Shachar