wineinstall fails after cvs update

degs degs at giantblob.com
Fri May 10 18:42:31 CDT 2002

On Friday 10 May 2002 21:03, Andriy Palamarchuk wrote:
> Hi Degs,
>
> --- degs <degs at giantblob.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I find tools/wineinstall frequently fails in
> > ./configure when trying to
> > rebuild Wine after a "cvs update". I only seem to be
> > able to fix this by
> > blowing away the whole tree and re-fetching it with
> > "cvs checkout". Is
> > wineinstall the Right Way to build Wine when one is
> > trying to hack on it?
>
> Wineinstall not only installs wine, but also
> configures it. Usually you do not need to reconfigure
> wine each time you refreshed source from CVS, so
> simply run in the Wine root dorectory:
> ./configure
> make depend
> make install
>
> or in one line:
> ./configure && make depend && make install
>
> "make install" will refresh the Wine binaries, but
> won't do anything with your existing configuration.
>
> BTW, question about installation belongs to
> wine-users, look forward for your questions about
> hacking ;-)
Hi,

Sorry I wasn't very clear - its not really a wine-users question per se - I
want to be able to hack on Wine whilst keeping up-to-date with the
cvs.winehq.com version and need to know how to build it. I'm aware
wineinstall runs configure - its configure that fails for me. It fails
regardless of whether I run configure manually or through wineinstall so
wineinstall is probably a red herring.

So, my question is: what is the correct way to rebuild Wine after 'cvs update'
so that the configure *doesn't* fail? preferably without having to blow away
the whole tree, re-check out and re-merge any changes which I've made to it?

I'm sure this must be a common problem but I can't figure out how to get
around it - if anyone can tell me the right way to do this it would be really
handly.

BTW I know its not my changes to my local Wine tree which break configure as
I've changed nothing in that area (I've only added debug code to some bits of
GDI which are giving me jip)

thanks
-- degs