More GDI heap problems: How to report this as bug ?

Gregor Hoffleit gregor at hoffleit.de
Wed May 15 07:46:13 CDT 2002

I try to run the Brockhaus multimedial encyclopedia with Wine (Debian
package 0.0.20020411-1). At a certain point (when an article is going to
be displayed), the program continuously spits out these messages about
the GDI heap being full:

    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 1048 bytes
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 1048 bytes
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 1048 bytes
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 880 bytes
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 1048 bytes
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 20 bytes
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 20 bytes
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 1048 bytes
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 20 bytes
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 20 bytes
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 20 bytes
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 20 bytes
    err:region:CombineRgn Invalid rgn=0000
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 1048 bytes
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 1048 bytes
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 20 bytes
    err:region:CombineRgn Invalid rgn=0000
    err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01ff for 20 bytes
    err:region:CombineRgn Invalid rgn=0000

The application nearly comes to a hold: with much luck, portions of the
display still get updated.

I've seen previous reports about this problems, and appearently they are
indications of leaks either in Wine's GDI objects or in some other
component.

How can I help tracking down these specifc leaks ? The leaks are very
obvious and very good reproducable. They happen almost immediately after
opening the article. I tried "--debugmsg +relay,+local", but after a few
seconds, the log file filled up 100MB!

I'm no Windows programmer, and I've only little experience with Wine,
but if somebody could tell me how to make a proper and helpful bug
report and what else could help to track down the problem, I'd be very
glad.

Please keep me cc'ed, since I'm not subscribed to wine-devel for the
moment.

Thanks,

    Gregor