talk-through dll

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed May 15 19:15:44 CDT 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Geoff Thorpe wrote:
[...]
> > I am interested in having a windows DLL that can access some
> > functions native to Linux.
[...]

The way to do this would be to be writing a Winelib library. This
library can be used by the rest of the application, be it Winelib or
native Windows, and this library can call both Win32 and Unix APIs. When
in a Winelib library, calling a Unix API is no different from calling it
from any other Unix library.

> Won't it be wonderful when some applications will actually work *better*
> under Wine than in native windows? Ie. under native windows, "click here"
> will just open IE or whatever, but under wine with a "talk-through" API, it
> could instead allow the browsing to be hosted either through the 'normal'
> windows API (presumably launching IE) *or* be passed out to a native browser
> of choice on the host system (mozilla, konqueror, whatever).

You mean something like the fourth screenshot on this page :-)
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/supported_applications.php?id=a-msword
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/images/msword2000_url.gif

                  Hiroshima '45 - Czernobyl '86 - Windows '95