Wineconsole (again)

Dustin Navea speeddymon at yahoo.com
Mon May 20 16:22:05 CDT 2002

--- Andreas Mohr <andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de> wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 01:54:31PM -0700, Alexandre
> Julliard wrote:
> > Andreas Mohr <andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de>
> writes:
> >
> > > Why is the "missing font" message a WINE_WARN ?
> > > IMHO this should clearly be a WINE_ERR, as it's
> a user warning,
> > > it's not only of interest to developers.
> >
> > Warnings should be WARN, only errors should be ERR
> (makes sense uh?)
> > We already have way too much noise being printed
> by default. Ideally
> > it should be possible to always display the error
> messages because you
> > would only get one when there is really a fatal
> error. As it is now,
> > if you want a user-friendly install, you have to
> pipe all the output
> > to /dev/null (like we do in Crossover) if you
> don't want to scare your
> > users with dozens of meaningless errors. That's
> not good.
> That's not good, yes.
> And it's even worse if people don't know where to
> look at in order to find
> out "why this bloody wineconsole doesn't work" (to
> just express how people
> would react).

why not have wine take advantage of syslog-ng (if
syslog-ng is installed and running)?  its an easy way
to find out like you said "why this bloody wineconsole
doesn't work" and you can still redirect the output to
/dev/null...

by the by, if you don't know how syslog-ng is an easy
way to find out, it prints out all messages it is
given to tty12, so all the user would have to do is
hit ctrl+alt+f12 read the message(s) and then alt+f7
back to x...

Dustin