Wineconsole (again)

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Mon May 20 16:49:21 CDT 2002

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 02:40:10PM -0700, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Andreas Mohr <andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de> writes:
>
> > Besides, like you said above, "only errors should be ERR".
> > This is not only an error, it's a *critical error*, as it aborts
> > the whole program...
> > If that's not an *ERROR*, then I really don't know what an error looks like.
>
> Of course if it aborts the program it's a critical error. But that's
> not what it's supposed to do, it's supposed to go look for a default
> font. The right way to fix this kind of issues is not to print even
> more messages on abort, it's to implement a fallback that makes sure
> we never abort. Or if we really cannot continue, popup a message box
> or something like this. The user should not be required to start Wine
> from an xterm to be able to figure out what's going on.
True, console messages are a problem for those GUI only (yuck ! ;-) users.
I'm afraid that faced with a pretty broken font selection choice,
wineconsole won't have much of a choice whether to abort or not...
So in case it really isn't usable, we need to notify the user of why
it happened (using a MessageBox).

Eric's new patch does indeed improve font enumeration (I now get a
working wineconsole, thanks !), although the font size is a bit tiny.
Thus it's a bit difficult to read.

Tel. +49 7159 800604                http://mohr.de.tt